Originally Published:Friday, October 30th 2009, 12:52 AM
Updated: Friday, October 30th 2009, 10:18 AM
School nurses mistakenly gave the swine flu vaccine to two students who didn't sign up for it - including a Brooklyn girl with epilepsy who wound up in the hospital.
"I was outraged," Naomi Troy, 26, told the Daily News after her 6-year-old daughter, Nikiyah Torres-Pierre, had a possible allergic reaction to the shot.
"My stomach was hurting, and I was itching," Nikiyah said after she was released from the hospital.
The snafu and a similar mixup at a Staten Island school came in the first days of the city's in-school H1N1 vaccination program.
City officials have stressed the vaccine is safe and urged parents to sign up for it - though less than half have sent in permission slips.
Troy was waiting for advice from her family doctor on whether Nikiyah should get the shot since she takes medicine to control her epilepsy.
When the nurse called for a student Thursday morning, Nikiyah's teacher misunderstood and sent the wrong student, Troy said.
The error was compounded when the nurse didn't check Nikiyah's name before sticking her in the shoulder, the mother said.
"The school made a horrible mistake," she added. "They never asked for her name. They have no paperwork....How do you make a mistake like this?" More...